- IT Home
- How Tos
- IT Support
- Office Hours for Staff Support
- Office Hours for Student Support
Mailing lists at Jacobs University can be used to send emails to a long list of recipients. For best outreach and least resource consumption, these emails contain only text to convey the message.
It is possible though to configure an own mailing list to send out rich, HTML-formatted emails (i.e., with pictures, and color, and fonts, and...) to recipients. Though this is not well received at Jacobs University community, email lists can be configured to send out HTML-emails, e.g. for marketing to external recipients.
Notes of Warning
- Be sure, that your recipients can and will read enriched emails.
- Rich emails will look different on the recipients screen than on yours.
- Rich emails are much more likely to be considered spam email by humans and machines.
- Sending unsolicited emails to outside Jacobs endangers the University to be set on spam blocklists, impeding our University's outside communication. This would be a serious case of violating the General Policy Governing the Appropriate Use of Computer Resources!
After creating a mailing list according to the process described in Utilizing Mailing Lists, to have the list forward HTML-formatted emails follow these configuration steps on the list administration page, at "Content-Filtering":
- "Should Mailman collapse multipart/alternative to its first part content?" -> Tick "No"
- "Should Mailman convert text/html parts to plain text?" -> Tick "No"
- Click the button "Submit Your Changes"
More configuration tips if the list is rather for marketing than for community purposes, to provide more privacy to the recipients:
- Set "General Options" -> "Default options for new members joining this list" to "Conceal the member's address".
- Set "Digest Options" -> "Can list members choose to receive list traffic bunched in digests" to "No".
- Set "Privacy options" -> "Subscription rules" -> "Who can view subscription list" to "List admin only"
- Set "Privacy options" -> "Sender filters" -> "By default, should new list member postings be moderated" to "Yes"
- As a safety measure, consider setting "General Options" -> "Emergency moderation of all list traffic" to "Yes" to ensure, that only emails get onto the list you explicitly allow.
Change other options as appropriate, e.g. set the footer empty or to a copyright notice, or a disclaimer.
Test sending emails to the list while you only subscribe yourself before sending to others!
Be sure to follow German law on mass email marketing! For references, see e.g. http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spam
You can consider using service providers other than Jacobs University, specialized in mass email marketing, e.g. Mail Chimp (disclaimer: no affiliation, no recommendation, no support, ...)