- IT Home
- How Tos
- IT Support
- Office Hours for Staff Support
- Office Hours for Student Support
This policy applies to faculty, staff, students, and guests.
"The University's computer and information network is a continually growing and changing resource that supports hundreds, soon to be thousands of users and systems. These resources are vital for the fulfilment of the academic, research and business needs of the University community. Their use is provided as a privilege. In order to ensure a reasonable and dependable level of service, it is essential that each individual user exercises responsible, ethical behaviour when using these resources. Misuse by even a few individuals has the potential to disrupt University business and the academic and research work of Jacobs University's users." – General Policy Governing the Appropriate Use of Computer Resources
Therefore, the use of Jacobs University's data network is only acceptable, if the following requirements are met by the individual and the employed technology.
For the use of privately owned computers within the Jacobs University data network, the following requirements exist:
- The operating system and all employed software must be held up-to-date.
- A functional virus scanner must be installed and used, and the corresponding virus data must be held up-to-date.
- Only functional and standard-compliant cabling must be used.
- No physical force is to be used against any equipment.
- Software provided by Jacobs University to the user must be removed from the user's machine(s) upon finally leaving Jacobs University, as required by the respective license agreement of the installed software.
Compliances with the various regulations of Jacobs University as well as any applicable law, especially including, but not limited to:
- General Policy Governing the Appropriate Use of Computer Resources.
- Note of the President banning peer2peer software.
- Bundesdatenschutzgesetz, Federal Data Protection Act.
Other regulations are available on the Policies page.
The following procedures must be accepted by the user:
- Agreement on Rights of IRC Staff for IRC Operations (done by students during immatriculation process, implicit for Jacobs University employees due to German labor law).
Please see User Support Services.
This is an adapted copy of a PDF document available on the IRC-IT page since 2005-02-18.